Take Charge Toolkit with Essential Questions
This “Take Charge” Toolkit is shipped with the Essential Questions and Know Yourself Worksheet.
The Essential Questions to Ask Your Doctor patient tool is a pocket-sized resource meant to encourage communication between patients and doctors. Good communication is important for patients who want to work with their doctors to decide on a treatment plan. Questions include:
- What information do I need to help me make a decision about treatment?
- What information do you use to make treatment recommendations for me?
- What are your realistic goals for my treatment?
- What are the chances that I can be cured?
- What are my chances of a long-term response with good quality of life?
- Are there clinical trials available to me?
- How will I feel during treatment? Will I be able to work?Take care of my family? Travel? Be around young children?
- What help will I need in managing the side effects of treatment? When and for how long?
- Should I consider a second opinion regarding my diagnosis and treatment?
The Know Yourself Worksheet helps patients prepare for a visit to their doctor and discuss their preferences with their family and health care team. The worksheet explores:
- Hopes and goals about diagnosis and prognosis
- Personal goals and milestones
- Quality of life during and after treatment
- Impact of disease and side-effects
- Other concerns
Use these prompts to help you prepare for your doctor’s visit and discuss your wishes with your physician and your family.
Bulk quantities of the Essential Questions Pamphlet are also available for distribution in health care, support service, or other settings. The Know Yourself Worksheet can be downloaded and printed from our website.